Position Title: Part-time Nurse Practitioner
Supervisor: Medical Director
The part-time nurse practitioner serves as a collaborative member of the health care team at BCAC and is responsible for performing initial screening exams for children entering foster care and kinship care.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Perform initial health screening exams for children ages newborn to 19 years who are entering the foster care system through the Baltimore City or Baltimore County Department of Social Services (DSS)
- Prescribe medications as indicated
- Perform point of care laboratory tests, including dipstick urinalysis, urine pregnancy tests, and rapid strep tests when indicated
- Collect lab specimens including blood, urine, throat swabs, and rectal swabs for laboratory testing
- Take photographs, as indicated to document physical findings
- Recommend follow-up medical, mental health, developmental, and dental services as indicated
- Provide anticipatory guidance for foster parents and kinship care providers
- Document history, physical exam findings and recommendations in electronic medical record.
- Accurately complete billing forms for each patient
- Collaborate with Medical Assistant, Full time Nurse Practitioner, and Medical Director to ensure smooth functioning of the health suite.
- Communicate with staff from MATCH (Baltimore City care coordination program for foster youth health care services), Baltimore City DSS, and Baltimore County DSS as needed to ensure smooth scheduling and follow-up care of patients.
Education & Skills:
- Seasoned professional knowledge
- Current Maryland Registered Nurse license
- Master of Science in nursing. Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner certification
- American Heart Association CPR certification
- At least 3 years of experience providing medical care for children in the outpatient setting; 5-7 years of nursing experience+
- Professionalism, effective communication, and strong organizational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact positively with children and families, as well as with BCAC staff and staff from other agencies
- Candidate must be comfortable working with victims of child abuse and neglect
- This position is grant funded, part time
- Hours are Monday and Friday, 9-5, or as work load permits
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- BCAC is an equal opportunity employer
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Wendy Lane, MD, Medical Director, at email@example.com.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. Each position is contingent on grant funding. All candidates must submit a resume and cover letter with each application. Please indicate if you have applied for more than one position in your cover letter.